& Trailer Repair
What To Do When You Need Semi Truck Road Service Near Me in Sheldon, MI
Every semi truck driver has mishaps once in a while—blown tires, engine trouble, running out of fuel, even crashes. If you’re in need of semi truck road service near me in Sheldon, MI, contact J&J Truck & Trailer Repair at 313-999-3088. Whether you need collision assistance, a jump start, lockout assistance, fuel delivery, or breakdown assistance, J&J Truck & Trailer Repair can help get you up and running in no time. Call us any time 24/7.
We have some tips for what to do in the event of a breakdown, how to prevent one, and what kind of services our Wayne County semi truck roadside assistance can provide for you.
What to do if you break down
Be sure to follow the instructions given to you by your fleet and your vehicle manufacturer, but here’s a general guide to what to do if you’re on the road and your vehicle is breaking down.
Procedures will vary depending on what, exactly, the problem is. If you feel your trailer swaying, take your foot off the gas, but do not brake. Go slow. First, if you’re on the highway, take the nearest exit and park on the shoulder of the exit if you’re able. This will make sure you’re out of the way of the heaviest traffic. If not you’re not able to get to an exit, at least attempt to pull over onto the shoulder of the road you’re on. Next, put warning triangles behind your vehicle at the proper distances. Once you’ve done that, stay in the vehicle for your safety and call semi truck roadside assistance. You can search on the internet or call our number (again, that’s 313-999-3088). Many repairs can be done roadside, but if you need a tow, we can do that too.
The kind of services roadside assistance provides
Services vary from company to company, but here at J&J Truck and Trailer Repair, we provide the following services:
- Brake repair and service—Aside from seatbelts, brakes may be the most important life-saving safety feature on your vehicle. Brake systems need to be lubricated and have worn out parts regularly replaced. If they go out while you’re driving, it can be extremely dangerous for you and everyone around you. If you do have brake problems, pull over to the side of the road and call a Sheldon, Michigan semi truck road service near me. Before the start of your trip, be sure to inspect them to make sure there are no leaks.
- Engine repair and maintenance—Keeping up with both preventative maintenance and repairs is just as important as maintaining your brakes. If your engine stops working, roadside assistance may be able to diagnose and fix the problem right there. However, engines are complex machines and like all machines, do eventually fail with age. Even the best made and maintained engines will eventually have to be retired. If the problem is more involved, they’ll offer you a tow.
- Transmission repair and maintenance – Just like an engine, a transmission needs regular maintenance and, occasionally, repairs.
- Oil changes—Oil changes are important preventative engine maintenance, and roadside assistance can help if you’re broken down and overdue. If your fluids are low (oil, water or gas), roadside assistance can drive out with what you need to get you running again.
- Tire rotation, balancing, and replacement—Roadside assistance can help with blowouts and with the essential maintenance to prevent more problems once you’re back on the road. Tire-related trouble is the most common cause of roadside incidents, accounting for more than half. They’re also the most easily preventable with regular inspection, rotation, and maintenance.
- Refrigeration maintenance and repair (including Thermo-King and Carrier)—Our roadside assistance can help keep your cargo cold.
- Truck and trailer inspection— If you find yourself broken down, we can take care of all the other small problems that might keep you off the road, including not having a recent inspection.
- Welding—Roadside assistance can help with even heavy duty repairs.
- Pressure washing—Keep your rig clean and running.
Above all, it’s important to keep your semi truck well maintained to avoid breakdowns and accidents.
Preventing breakdown and wrecks
Nobody can prevent breakdowns entirely, they’re simply a fact of life when you work with a complex piece of machinery like a semi truck. That said, the majority of breakdowns and wrecks are at least somewhat preventable. Here are some tips to prevent breakdowns and accidents so you can stay safe and stay driving.
First, before you depart, plan your route. You want to make sure you have enough gas (and enough places to fuel up) to make it through your entire route. You also don’t want to find yourself on roads that are too narrow to support you, or to be too long in the middle of nowhere, away from anyone who could help you in the case of a breakdown.
Perform a thorough inspection of your vehicle. Pay special attention to your tires—remember, more than half of roadside incidents are caused by poorly maintained tires. Also pay attention to safety features like your seatbelt, turn signals, and brakes. Inspect your brakes for air leaks and other issues. Be sure your cargo is loaded safely and won’t shift during travel.
Finally, when you’re on the road, be a responsible, defensive driver. Don’t drive intoxicated. Avoid distractions, like videos, texting and podcasts. Know how long it takes you to brake and be sure to give the driver in front of you plenty of room. Don’t just follow the letter of the law and wait for the police to sort out who was right and who was wrong after the fact, do what it takes to avoid that accident so you can stay on the road, safe and logging miles.
Roadside assistance you can trust
But despite our best efforts, sometimes bad things do happen. If a breakdown or an accident does occur and you need Sheldon, Michigan semi truck road service near me, search for your nearest semi truck roadside assistance. If you’re in the Wayne County area, go ahead and call 313-999-3088. We’ll get you back on the road.
- Learn more about Sheldon, MI 48188
- Open a Sheldon, MI map
- Find the Sheldon, MI United States Post Office
- Locate nearby Sheldon, MI pharmacies
- View the current Sheldon, MI weather report
- Browse a list of Sheldon, MI public and private schools
- Sheldon, MI is located in Wayne county in Michigan State